CATARACT ACADEMY COURSE – Phase 1: Online
The role of the online course is to build a robust mental preparation for the surgical training to follow.
HOW THE STRUCTURE OF EACH ONLINE MODULE IS TAILORED TO MILLENIALS
- There will be 10 separate online modules.
- The student will receive each week online assignments which they must complete before the next module is available.
- Each online module will have a short exam at the end to ensure content is reasonably understood. Until exam is passed the next module will not be available.
- Each module will be tailored to be short and have a decidedly high cadence for how key learning goals are conveyed.
- Online modules will never tell a student what they have to do in cataract surgery for a specific step, but rather why they would do that specific step using defined techniques. This forces every student to exercise critical thinking and in doing this each student discovers they possess a more complete understanding of a concept related to phaco surgery.
- Carefully selected or created animations, surgeon video talks, and simulation demonstrations will populate each online module to allow for active adult learning vs passive learning.
- Module 1: Introduction to Phaco Principals and why every surgeon should love Phaco
- Module 2: The Surroundings
- Module 3: Your Journey to Surgical Readiness
- Module 4: Mental Training for Surgeons
- Module 5: Prior to Surgery
- Module 6: Team & Operating Room
- Module 7: Day of the Surgery and Workflow
- Module 8: Phacodynamics
- Module 9: Phaco Steps
- Viscoelastic Introduction
- Nucleo Fractis
- Irrigation / Aspiration
- IOL Insertion
- Viscoelastic Aspiration
- Incision Management
- Intraoperative Medication
- Module 10: Prepare for what it comes
CHARACTERISTICS OF MODULES
MULTIPLE VIDEOS (3 to 5 minutes)
INTERACTIVE CASE OR PROBLEM (ONE SITUATION TO START LEARNING TO EXERCISE CRITICAL THINKING)
PRESENTATION & ANIMATION ( Keynote + Video & ANIMATION)
QUIZZES EMBEDDED WITHIN EACH MODULE & SCORES AUTOMATICALLY COMPILED BY EDUCATION PLATFORM
EACH STUDENT WILL BE FOLLOW BY ONE MENTOR THAT WILL ANSWER MAIL AND WILL HAVE 1 HOUR SKYPE CALL A WEEK
- Students will have to work together in some stages and know each other with feedback.
- Students will have an active participation in each stage of the course.
- Some tasks will be groupal.
- Serious Evaluation.